March 18, 2020 1:12 PM
March 18, 2020 | 1:00 PM
Town of Burgaw officials are closely monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic and is taking the situation very seriously, as our community and staff are top priority. We are following the latest updates from the CDC, NC Governor’s Office, NC Department of Health and Human Services, and NC Emergency Management, as well as, our local Health and Emergency Management Officials.
Per the recommendations and requirements issued by state and federal agencies in response to the pandemic, town officials have decided to close the Customer Service window in the front lobby of Town Hall to limit face-to-face contact. The front lobby will remain accessible to the public for forms and information. There is a yellow drop box located in the Town Hall parking lot for payments and any paperwork that may need to be submitted to town staff. However, we strongly encourage everyone to conduct town business over the phone at 910-259-2151 during regular business hours Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, or online at https://www.burgawnc.gov/.
In addition, some of the town’s departmental processes, policies and events have been altered as described below.
• All residents are strongly encouraged to pay their utility bills online at https://www.burgawnc.gov/ or by calling 910-663-3445 to make a payment over the phone. During this time, the town is waiving the pay-by-phone fee for utility payments and will issue a credit to all customers that pay the convenience fee when making their payment online.
• If online and phone payments are not an option, the drop box may be utilized for cash and check payments. The full amount paid will be applied to the utility account and no change will be issued. The drop box will be checked frequently throughout each business day.
• Disconnections will be suspended during this time. Normal utility usage and fees are still being applied.
• For establishing new utility accounts or to request for a utility disconnection, please obtain the appropriate form on our website and submit via email to email@example.com. If this is not an option, you may obtain a form in the lobby at Town Hall during normal business hours, place it in the drop box and our Finance Department will be in contact with you via phone. The drop box will be checked frequently throughout each business day.
• For all other questions for the Finance Department, please call 910-663-3445.
Planning & Inspections
• To request permits, please obtain the appropriate form on our website and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If this is not an option, you may obtain an application in the lobby at Town Hall, place it in the drop box and our Planning & Inspections Department will be in contact with you via phone. The drop box will be checked frequently throughout each business day.
• For all other questions for the Planning & Inspections Department, please call 910-663-3452.
Fire & Police
• Police and Fire response will remain operational as usual, with extra precautions in place during contact with the public.
• For non-emergency inquiries, please contact the Fire Department at 910-663-3480 and Police Department at 910-259-4924.
Parks and Recreation Department
• All rental reservations have been suspended until further notice.
• All exercise programs have been suspended until further notice.
• Town parks will remain open at this time, but we encourage “social distancing” and avoid group gatherings.
• The following events and activities have been canceled or postponed:
All Filming in Downtown (March 18-22)
Easter Egg Scramble (March 29)
Tennis Camp (Every Thursday in April)
Community Yard Sale (April 4)
Family Bingo Night (April 17)
• The Arbor Day Tree Seedling Giveaway remains as scheduled and will be drive-thru only. Town and county residents may pick up seedlings between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM Friday, March 20, 2020.
• For all other questions for the Parks & Recreation Department, please call 910-300-6401.
Public Works Department
• Our Public Works Department will remain operational as usual, with extra precautions in place during contact with the public.
• Garbage and recycling service will continue as usual at this time, as well as town pick up for yard debris and white goods.
• The Public Works office will be closed to the public during this time. For questions or assistance, residents are requested to call 910-259-2901 or email email@example.com during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
Boards and Committees
• The following meetings have been canceled or postponed:
Planning & Zoning Board Meeting (March 19)
Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee Meeting (March 24)
TDA Special Meeting (March 26)
• Notices will be issued if future town meetings are canceled or postponed.
• At this time, the regularly scheduled Board of Commissioners Meeting for April 14, 2020, will remain as scheduled. Special implementations will be put in place to comply with the state and federal recommendations and requirements on gatherings.
As recommended by the NC Department of Health and Human Services, we are encouraging “social distancing” and advise everyone to stay at least six (6) feet away from people. We ask our citizens to stay home when possible, wash your hands frequently, and avoid contact with those that are at a higher risk.
For information on the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at https://cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/ or the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services website at https://www.ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus.