The Burgaw Cemetery, owned by the Town of Burgaw, is located at 200 East Wallace Street. The cemetery land was deeded to the Town of Burgaw in November of 1893 by the Wilmington & Weldon Railroad Company.
Location & History
The cemetery consists of approximately ten acres of land in a serene setting. Buried among the old oak trees are people from many walks of life. Many of these people helped to shape the history and character of the Town of Burgaw. According to records, there are graves dating back to the 1860s.
In addition to the rich history of the Burgaw Cemetery, there is a quaintness and charm about the grounds that invite one to take a stroll across the shaded lanes to spend some time with nature and reflect on life.
Online Permit Applications
Cemetery Burial Permit Application
Marker Permit Application
Marker Deposit Refund Request
Veteran's Monument Request Form
Requests may be made by family members to have the name of a Veteran etched into the Veteran's Monument of those buried in the Burgaw Cemetery.
Open to the Public - 7 days a week
- April 1 through September 30 - 7:00AM - 8:00PM
- October 1 through March 31 - 7:00AM - 6:00PM
- All cut flowers and artificial arrangements shall be removed from gravesite within fourteen (14) days of interment. Seasonal arrangements shall be removed from gravesite within thirty days (30) days following the end of the season.
Decorations of gravesite and plantings
- No coping, curb, fencing, grave mound or border of any kind shall be allowed on any burial lot unless already in place prior to April 11, 2023.
- Ornaments, glass vases, glass cases or any other glass, porcelain or cement items, or any other article that may be considered objectionable by the town are prohibited. The town reserves the right to remove same without notice to the owner, any relative, or other person.
- Wooden or cast-iron benches or chairs shall not be permitted unless approved by the board of commissioners.
- No person shall plant or maintain any tree, shrub or ground cover in the town cemetery, unless such planting is with the approval of the board of commissioners.
- The town reserves the right to prune, exclude or remove from any lot any tree, planting, plant or shrubbery that is unsightly or detrimental by reason of roots, branches or otherwise adjacent to walks or roads, or which detract from the general appearance of the cemetery.
A permit issued by the Town of Burgaw must be obtained before any burial or placement of gravestones. Please call (910) 663-3444 for more information.
Burial plots are no longer available for purchase.