The Burgaw Historic District was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in August of 1999. The National Register is a list of properties significant in American history, architecture, archaeology and culture. Properties listed therein deserve to be preserved by their owners as a part of their cultural heritage of our nation.
The Burgaw Historic District is located in the heart of the town of Burgaw, in Pender County, North Carolina. Designated the county seat in 1879, Burgaw is positioned near the center of Pender County. There are many historic homes and buildings within the downtown district. The oldest building in the district is the train depot which was built prior to the Civil War. The depot has recently been restored and renovated but the significant historical values have been preserved.
The tree lined streets and the large canopy of oaks around the court house square is conducive to walking at a leisurely pace while enjoying the fresh air, shopping in the stores or stopping for a bite to eat at a local eatery. The Burgaw Presbyterian Church and the Macedonia AME Church were constructed in the late 1800s and still stand faithful today as evidence of strong religious values.
Pender County Court House
The historic Pender County Court House stands proudly in the center of town on what is known as "Court House Square." The court house is the focal point of the downtown area and defines the charm and character of the downtown area.
A self-guided walking tour is available. Brochures may be picked up at the Municipal Building, which is located at: 109 N Walker Street Burgaw, NC 28425