Yard Debris, White Goods and C&D Collection Policy

Public Works picks up yard debris & bulky household items throughout the week excluding holidays, weather permitting. We use a grapple truck with a claw to pick up items. Please keep your piles separated to make it easier for us to pick-up. 

Mixed waste will not be picked up. If you have both white goods and yard debris please make two separate piles. 

Yard Debris and/or Construction and Demolition (C&D) generated by an individual that was paid to do a service (contractor or otherwise) will not be picked up, it is their responsibility to dispose of the debris they generate. 

Yard Debris

Yard waste is defined as:

  • Bushes
  • Clippings
  • Vines
  • Foliage
  • Limbs with a caliper size smaller than 8 inches in diameter
  • Christmas trees

Trees and limbs larger than 8 inches in diameter and must be cut in lengths no longer than 8 feet in order to be collected by the town. At the Public Works Director’s discretion, limbs and trees larger than stated above may be collected by the town based on the town’s personnel and equipment capabilities pursuant to the fee schedule below.

  • Vegetative debris resulting from land clearing will not be collected and disposed of by the town regardless of the type or size of vegetation or who generated the debris.
  • Debris created from a contractor will not be picked up, it is the responsibility of the contractor to dispose of the debris.
  • All yard waste eligible for collection must be placed along the right of way, out of the street, in an orderly fashion.
    • Town employees shall not be responsible for raking the right of way in order to remove any remaining debris that is not removed by mechanized means.
  • It is recommended to put small loose vegetation such as pine needles and leaves in compostable, biodegradable and/or paper bags. If these items are places in plastic bags the bags will be opened and the contents removed for pick-up, while the bags stated above can simply be put in the truck for removal.  These can be purchased at most home improvement stores such as Lowes or Home Depot.

White Goods

Bulky item collection is intended for the occasional disposal of large items that will not fit into a roll cart but is not intended for a whole house clean out. This does not include items that do not fit in your roll cart because your roll cart is not full. Public Works does not pick up cardboard, please save it for your recycle day. If you have extra cardboard please refer to our  Curbside Recycling page for further instructions.

  • Furniture
  • Mattresses
  • Appliances
  • Electronics

Construction and Demolition Debris (C&D)

Under no circumstances, is C&D debris to be placed in a roll cart, dumpster, or other refuse receptacle provided by the Town’s solid waste provider.

  • The Town of Burgaw will not collect any construction and demolition (C&D) debris generated by a contractor, they are responsible for disposal.
  • An additional charge may apply for Town collection of large quantities of C&D debris exceeding 2-1/2 cubic yards (2 X 4 X 8 feet), about the size of a pickup truck load.

Multi-unit apartments are responsible for the removal of yard waste and bulky items from their property.

Yard waste and bulky item collection is not an extra trash day. Items that will fit in trash and recycle roll carts must be put in roll carts for collection. This means if your roll cart was full for that week, wait until the next week. Public Works will not pick up trash.

Special Pick-Up

A customer may request a “Special Pick-Up” to have additional waste materials such as larger amounts of yard waste, household debris, furniture, “white goods,” etc. removed. A special pick-up will be charged back to the customer based on the collection and disposal cost of the material. No additional fee will be charged for lesser amounts of yard waste or other items, and Christmas tree collection will remain free of charge.

Fee Schedule for Debris Removal

For services in excess of what is described and provided above, the Town, at the discretion of the Public Works Director, may pick up vegetative debris pursuant to fees established in the Master Fee Schedule.

All hourly charges shall be pro-rated and a minimum of 1 hour shall be charged for all services provided pursuant to the fee schedule.  All associated fees shall be invoiced by the town and must be paid prior to collection.

Additional Information

There are several items that we will not pick up, these include but are not limited to:

  • Tires
  • Wet paint 
    • Dried paint is accepted, you can either pour sand or cat litter into a paint can to rapidly dry it out or leave the lid open for a more natural approach.
  • Motor Oil - please see the Curbside Recycle page for alternative recycling options.
  • Pesticides/Chemicals
    • Pender County Cooperative Extension has offered Pesticide collection days in the past, if you have pesticide you are looking to dispose of please contact them for further information on the next upcoming event.